Please pray for
Download the "Sneak Peek" Bundle Now!
As a thank you for joining the email list, you will immediately be able to download the “Sneak Peek” bundle; the introduction, instructions, and sample pages of The Rhythm Journal. You will also be among the first to be notified when the Kickstarter launches. Exciting times!
It’s been a pleasure to get to know Corby over the years and in that time I have seen his heart to both understand the heart of God and share it with others. He has the qualities of a good teacher, humility, teachability and humor.Paul Gibbs
Learn to walk with God at His pace.
To “walk” with God is a common word picture in both the Old and New Testaments of The Bible. It describes a life that is going in the same direction and speed that God is leading. It isn’t always easy but it is always possible. The Rhythm Journal is an attempt to reorient our lives around some specific rhythms, patterns, and instructions in the Bible so that our lives can be in step with God’s life.
- It’s guided in that it takes you through steps, or “beats,” to help you notice God’s voice, presence, and rhythms in your life.
- It’s a journal in that it is a record of God building His life, Kingdom, and rhythms both into and through your life.
Comments from people who helped test The Rhythm Journal.
- It was a significant source of being intentional and strategic about my week, and each day. I was pleasantly surprised that I found so much value.
- Once I got started, the RENEW and RISE/REST rhythms felt very easy. As with any new habit there was a bit of learning curve… but then it felt like it was simple, yet powerful.
- Rather than seeking God on more of a random day to day walk, the RENEW and PREVIEW Sunday rhythms helped me to get grounded and in control of applying God’s word and voice to my week.
- I loved that there was a different rhythm to each day which provided an emphasis area that aligned to my goals for the week.
- Each day that I did the RISE, I found myself being centered on the rhythm throughout the day… intentionally praying for my actions, and for people that I had identified in “People that need Jesus.”
- I was praying more and looking for things to write in the the REST section during the day. Kept my mind a little more focused during the day.
- What I think I would find nice is looking back a month or so and seeing gradual change that I probably miss along the way.
People have been walking with God successfully for thousands of years. Like I said, it isn’t always easy. At least for me.
What could I make that would help me?
I was going through a season when I was trying so hard to help other people connect God’s word to their lives that I realized I wasn’t doing a very good job of it for myself. What does that even look like? Can it be observed and measured? I know that God’s Spirit does the work of changing me, but I have to do something, don’t I?
Some verses that have always stuck with me answer all of those questions. There are many more, but these are the key verses.
- In Romans 12:1-2 Paul tells us to continually present ourselves as a living sacrifice, to not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of our minds, resulting in demonstrating God’s will.
- In Ephesians 5:16-21 Paul tells us to “walk circumspectly.” In other words, walk intentionally. He also tells us to be continually filled with the Holy Spirit so that we can both be a blessing and receive blessing from others.
- In Luke 9:23 Jesus tells us that “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.”
These are things that don’t happen by accident. These are things that are done intentionally; they are done on purpose with purpose.
What is needed are some new habits; some new rhythms. We need to RISE withpurpose. We need to REST on purpose. We need to RENEW for a purpose.
As we practice these new rhythms weekly and daily we will see ourselves, over time and with the help of the Holy Spirit, walking with God at His PACE.
- P – Purpose. Everything God does is purposeful. Learning to see God’s purposes helps us to keep in step with Him; not getting ahead nor falling behind.
- A – Action. God takes action through His people. Learning what God’s actions look like and what His voice sounds like helps us to know when to step and when to stop.
- C – Choice. Following Jesus means making choices daily. Learning the ways of Jesus helps us to know what our choices are, what to choose, and how the Spirit leads us.
- E – Evolve. Evolve means “change over time.” Learning to walk and work with Jesus, watching how He does it, and learning His rhythms, will grow, mature, and change us into someone who looks more and more like Jesus over time.
A 13-week guided journal
My name is Corby Stephens and I created The Rhythm Journal. It started out as a process, not a product. Now it’s both and I hope that you find it as helpful as myself and others have. So, what is it and how does it work?
Each journal is designed to walk you through 13 weeks, which is essentially three months. Here is an overview of what you will do over those three months.
- The Beginning. A set of questions to help you evaluate where you are now, where you’ve been, and where you want to be in relation to God’s PACE This is done before you start your first Sunday RENEW.
- RENEW, Review, and Preview. Every Sunday you are walked through RENEW which is a process based on Romans 12:1-2. (There isn’t anything like this out there.) Prompting questions guide you through steps to help you intentionally follow Paul’s instructions in these verses. Next, you take some time to Review the previous week’s Daily Rhythms, and Preview the coming week to map out what Daily Rhythms you might need to develop. You will recognize the growth the Spirit has been working in you, as well as areas that need more growth. You will also have the opportunity to pray for people who need Jesus, as well as receive a verse for the week.
- RISE and REST. Just as you rise in the morning and rest in the evening every day, so it is in The Rhythm Journal. Prompting questions in the morning and evening guide you through getting ready for the day as well as checking in at night to see how God worked in your life that day. Each day you develop a different Daily Rhythm; a Godly characteristic that you can partner with the Holy Spirit to cultivate in your life. These may be patience, brotherly love, compassion, creativity, leadership, and servanthood.
- The End. At the end of the 13 weeks you process through the same questions as in The Beginning and compare notes. This is where you see the development of God’s PACE in your life.
- The Index. As God speaks to you through RENEW, RISE, and REST, you can check a box at the bottom of the page to “landmark” it, then make a note in The Index. It serves as a record of how God spoke to you, taught you, encouraged you, and built His Kingdom through you. I wish I had been keeping one of these my whole life!
All done? Get another journal and do it again! Since each journal covers 13 weeks, which is three months, you can go through four journals in a year. Imagine being able to go back through the past 12 months and see where the Lord has taken you.
Where Two Or More Are Gathered…
While The Rhythm Journal is intended for you to experience alone with The Lord, that doesn’t mean you are on your own. In fact, having people use this resource in community is the real “product” that I want to produce. The journal itself is just a tool to facilitate that.
- Spouse – share what the Lord is saying to you and doing in you with your spouse.
- Small Group – Do you meet with a small group? Each member of your group could do a journal. When you meet, make sharing what you learn through your journal a part of your time together.
- Facebook Group – As a user of The Rhythm Journal you are entitled to membership in a closed Facebook group. I’m really looking forward to people sharing what the Lord is doing in and through them with this resource. I’m also looking forward to creative uses, places, suggestions, and pictures for the journal. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/therhythmjournal/
Join the List & Get Social!
Use the form below to subscribe to the email list and immediately download the “Sneak Peek” bundle. And be sure to follow us on social media so you can be a part of The Rhythm Journal community and share it with your friends!
Oh, and here’s a sneak peek at the prototype for the journal.
Join the list!
Join Corby's Awesome Email List now and you will reieve the "Sneak Peek" bundle; the introduction, instructions, and sample pages of The Rhythm Journal. You will also be among the first to be notified when the Kickstarter launches. Exciting times!